Wednesday, April 14, 2010












Hi! I have just created another blog. this blog will try to focus on Kelantan.
The state where I was born until I left it in 1967 to be with my husband who took a job in Johore and later in Kuala Lumpur.I came back to Kelantan in 1998 after my husband died.

When I left Kelantan,in l967 I have three children, all girls Nik Elin Zurina (6), Nik Ainun Zanariah(5) and Nik Adura Zuliana less than one year old. In Kuala Lumpur, we are blessed with three more children, all boys. Nik Ahmad Rozaidi was born in l971, Nik Adlin Fariz in l972 and in May 1984 we have another son, Nik Azan Shah Reza.

I married my cousin in 1960. I hardly know him before we got married, but his younger brother used come to our house,when he acompany his grandmother, who is also my grandmother. We were neighbors too. His house was just across the road, the Jalan Pasit Puteh, now this road has been renamed Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra.

As I was a fun loving person, I had many friends, boys included. He was older so he was not in my friends list.

It was an arranged marriage. I only had third grade School certificate then and was working as a clerical officer in the Land and District office in Kota Bharu. My basic salary was only RM122.50. My husband who was working as technician in the Survey Department was earning slightly more. I was married on 1st September l960 and by 28th May the following year I was already a mother to a beautiful daughter. This was followed by another daughter in June the following year.

I was never happy with that small income and took a few part time jobs to supplement our family income. I was very lucky because in those days there were very few people who go to secondary schools. This is more so among Malay girls, like me. So I considers myself to be among the few who made it to secondary schools.

Getting jobs in those days was not a problem at all. Job offers came in, without me having to go for interviews. I was offered to be a part time announcer for Radio and TV Malaysia(RTM) without any effort at all. I remember Arwah Encik Aziz Abu Hassan (he was the husband of our Tan Sri Aishah Ghani) came to my office and gave me the job after he taped my voice with a recording instrument which he brought from KL.

In those days there was no radio stations in Kota Bharu yet, so radio producers had to carry their own studio with them wherever they go. Well, Aziz Abu Hassan was one of them.

I don' t remember how I met him, but one day he called me to the Rest House near my Office, to give me an audition of some sort. I must have fulfilled his requirement and so was hired immediately. I remember the first recording was done on my wedding day at my house in KB.

We made a number of programs together, mostly documentaries. One of them is called 'Ole Ole Pantai Timur'. Later my husband also lend his voice for a number of programs. I was getting quite a lot of job offers after that, but as I was already employed by the state government, so I took the jobs on part time basis.

Among the jobs I took on part time basis was teaching adult education classes in the evening in Kedai Mulong about 14 km away. I would be with them for two hours, three times a week. There are also times whenever there are lottery draws, I would get invited to the stage to pull the lucky numbers. I am given tokens for my services. I received two of these from the organizers They were made of real gold. I also earn extra cash on election days by being a polling clerk. I was earning three or four times more than I was earning from my permanent job in the Land and District office.

With the money I earned, my mother would buy me gold necklaces,earrings and bracelets. I still have some of them, until today.

At the office, I was a favorite to the DO too. In fact he asked me why I got married so early, if not, he would have made me into something better than a clerical officer. He was very impressed with my work and was often invited to his house to meet his family.

During Monsoon seasons, I would be given the task of distributing food supplies and blankets to the flood victims all over the district. I remember how the people would welcome us whenever we arrived at our destinations. I enjoyed meeting the people and traveling in the Land Rovers with other senior staffs was truly an enjoyable experience. It was during these trips that I got to know many new places that I have never been before. I also got to learn of unique and funny names of people and places.

I was also appointed to represent the state government of a few voluntary or charitable organizations. Come to think of it now, I think I was quite a celebrity.......kekkekekkek.

But being an only child, my priority was always to be close with my mother. She was my world and I never knew any other options but to stay with her.

I was a mediocre student when I was in school, but after I got married, I was inspired by my husband who was always working hard to improve himself.

have studied hard even I got married accepted as a student in the University in 1975 to study in the Faculty of Arts and graduated with a Bachelor Of Arts(hons) and was appointed as a Credit Officer with Bank Pertanian Malaysia(BPM)now known as Agro Bank. I remained in BPM until I opted for an early retirement in l991. My last post in BPM was as a Public Relations Manager.

After my husband died, I was offered to continue my studies again. This time I join University Pertanian Malaysia(UPM) and got my Masters of Science degree in Corporate Communications.In to Kota Bharu I became a Tutor in one of UTM's branch campus, teaching corporate communications to distant Learning students in Wakaf Bharu. for two years. Afater that I left teaching and became a full time retiree.

It took me about twelve years to adjust to the slow pace of life in Kelantan. I found this place to be very mundane . It is so different from Metropolitan Kuala Lumpur. However I am so happy here now, that I am beginning to like this place and hope to be able to share my hopes and aspirations for this lovely and charming place.


2 comments:

  1. salam datin, saya keluarga baru warga jkr di cawangan arkitek,KL tak sangka datin rupanya orang kelantan dan kisah datin juga memberi inspirasi kepada saya.. tahniah datin kerana membanggakan kelantan walaupun datin tidak lagi tinggal di kelantan, saya harap datin terus memberi inspirasi kepada orang ramai khususnya warga kelantan sendiri tentang kisah kejayaan datin di kementerian kerja raya ini semoga datin panjang umur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terima kasih,kerana sudi baca coretan hidup saya. Insyaallah! sama-sama kita jayakan hidupkia.

      Delete